dimanche 25 janvier 2009

DIZZY K *** 1984 *** SWEET MUSIC


Some African electro from Dizzy K.

Earlier today in the comments for the last post, Birdseed enquired about Nigerian synth and electro music and I pledged to get some up soon. I was in the process of uploading some William Onyeabor (who I used to call "the Nigerian Thomas Dolby") when I accidentally deleted the file, but then I remembered that I really have never posted any Dizzy K music on this blog... which is crazy, because that negro was rocking my world in the 1980s.

Dizzy K. cut six albums between 1982 and 1989, almost always working with producer Tony Okoroji. Dizzy and Okoroji's earliest collaborations were standard, full-band, heavy boogie cuts, often leaning heavily on Michael Jackson's Off the Wall, but they soon switched tack to a more modern, stripped-down, synth-infused electrofunk sound. However, Okoroji had a relatively original (or perhaps conservative) approach to programmed music, often balancing out the thundering syndrums with organic percussion for a distinctly African electro sound.

1 commentaire:

  1. Hello Bentleyfunk!

    I just discovered your blog this morning and I LOVE the music you are sharing over here. (I hope I can get an invitation when you become private!)

    I was surprised to see that you used content from *my* blog in this post, though!

    I don't mind you borrowing my words but please, give credit for where you got the words and provide a link back to my blog.

    (Also, I would gladly write more about Dizzy K if you like... Let me know!)

    Peace!

    Uchenna

    RépondreSupprimer